While doing an art project, you can be irritated sometimes by an adhesive that leaves some spots on the project. What will you do when you accidentally leave a tube of super glue on your granite countertop? How will you quickly repair the damage or stain left on your granite countertop? There are some remedies to remove the spots immediately until it becomes hardened. This content will help you learn how to remove superglue from granite efficiently and effectively.
Things You Need
- A piece of cloth or rag
- Plastic wrap
- Liquid dish soap
- Rubbing alcohol
- A cotton ball
Recommended: How to Remove Gorilla Glue from Tile? 7 Easy Steps Ever
6 Easy Steps To Remove Super Glue from Granite
For small improvement projects, we use different adhesives for which some spills occur naturally. However, many of you are unaware of what to do when the kitchen countertops are granite, which is affected by some cleaning items or adhesives.
You must follow the proper steps to remove superglue from granite with the most effective solvents. First, choose the best solvent to remove all the granite’s stains, damage, stretches, or discoloration. Then, check out step-by-step processes of removing super glue stains from granite that are amazing at breaking through the bonds created by super glue.
Step 1: Mix Water and the Dish Liquid
Firstly, you need to take some dish liquid and mix it with water in a mixing bowl. Next, mix well with a spoon to make suds or stir the dish soap mixture. The better the combination is, the better repair you can expect.
Step 2: Soak a Cloth on the Mixture and Lay it Over the Glue
Next, take a piece of cloth or paper towel on the mixture of water and dish liquid. Now, put the cloth or paper towel over the super glue. Leave it like this and wait for a few hours. Afterward, you can use plastic wrap to cover the cloth or a paper towel to hold the moisture.
Step 3: Scrub the Glue Gently with a Damp Cloth
Try to notice whether the glue has softened after several hours of keeping it in moisture or not. Once it has softened, take a damp cloth to scrub the glue away. Do the process firmly.
Important: How To Remove Dried Glue From Wood: Super Easy Tricks
Step 4: Use a Razor if Scrubbing with a Damp Cloth isn’t Enough
If the glue is still there after scrubbing the adhesive with a damp cloth, use a razor blade to scrape off the glue. You must be very cautious while doing anything with a sharp blade. Ensure your hand, and the project is safe while using the razor.
Step 5: Apply Acetone to Remove Stubborn Super Glue
Pure acetone or rubbing alcohol works finely to remove stubborn adhesives. These are ideal tools to remove super glue stains on your countertop. Rubbing alcohol ruins superglue within a short time. We also use rubbing alcohol to clean granite tile floors as it works like a disinfectant. You should dip a cotton ball into the rubbing alcohol or acetone and rub it over the superglue until the glue is entirely removed.
Step 6: Wipe off the Remaining Residue
After removing the glue, you should wipe the entire area with a clean and damp cloth to remove the remaining residues. Be careful about not letting the rubbing alcohol stay on the granite for too long a time, as it may tarnish your countertop.
Read: How To Remove Dried Glue From Wood: Super Easy Tricks
How to Remove Excess Super Glue from Granite
Even after following all the necessary steps to remove super glue from granite, there might be some excess glue on the sealed granite that should be removed. So now, you must also know how to clean off the excess superglue on the surface.
We don’t recommend you repeat the above steps to remove the excess glue from the granite; instead, you can use some tools that work best to scrape off super glue stains without damaging the granite surface or leaving out any scratches.
Tools You Need to Scrape off Super Glue Residue
You can use any of the tools below to scrape off superglue residues from granite.
- Razor blade
- A plastic putty knife
Some Additional Tips to Remember
- A nail polish remover is an excellent item to remove the residues from anything, but sometimes they contain chemicals and dyes that can negatively affect your project. So, it is recommended not to use a nail polish remover instead of pure acetone.
- Do not use white vinegar as an option to remove superglue from granite. White vinegar is a good bathroom cleaner, but this standard household cleaning product damages granite sealants or discolors. Therefore, you will have to reseal your countertop.
- You should also avoid bleach, Windex, or lacquer thinner that can damage or cut through granite and permanently leave stains on the countertop.
- To avoid scratches on the granite material, you must prevent abrasive scouring pads while cleaning granite.
- Many of us are familiar with lighter fluid as a solution to remove super glue. However, using it on granite might not always be effective as you expect. Therefore, you should first test the effectiveness of lighter fluid on a hidden granite countertop area. Then, if it works nicely, you can use it for the entire area.
- Acetone or rubbing alcohol is the most delicate item to remove the finish from different surfaces. However, the best way to avoid any inconvenience or adverse effects is to try a remover on a hidden small surface area first to test the functional level. Then, if the remover suits the surface perfectly, you can use it for the entire area as a cleaning solution.
- You shouldn’t have anything to worry about the water stain we see after using glue sometimes. For example, after using an adhesive on granite, if a water stain is visible, wait for it to fade away. Any water stain left by an adhesive will disappear as the water evaporates.
Tips: How To Use Hot Glue Without Gun: The Best Handy Ways
How can I remove super glue from granite using a nail polish remover?
Nail polish removers are unique glue-loosening ingredients. Soak a cotton ball in it and continue rubbing the affected area until the glue loosens. Once the glue is softened, wipe it with a paper towel. After that, use a good cleaning agent to disinfect your granite countertop.
How can I prepare a DIY granite cleaner?
To protect granite material from bacteria and germs, pour the ingredients into a spray bottle and swish them before use with a DIY granite cleaner. Make sure there is uniform consistency in the solution. Then, wipe with a damp cloth on the granite surface without scratching.
Is rubbing alcohol a handy way to remove an adhesive from granite countertops?
Yes, because rubbing alcohol is a safe and natural bactericide that prevents germs, viruses, and fungi. It is easy to use on any surface and doesn’t leave any adverse effects on granite countertops.
A powerful adhesive like super glue can result in spoiling your craft projects. It is stressful seeing superglue landing on projects that aren’t expected. After noticing the bond on your countertop, you can’t remove the stain left in the area by rubbing it away. Though superglue is too strong an adhesive to remove, there are also some practical solutions. Hopefully, the above ways of ‘how to remove super glue from granite’ will help you in all the possible ways to get rid of the arrogant stain left by super glue.